Top Tips On Choosing Your Flowers
When planning your wedding flowers , I think it goes without saying that choosing your florist and flowers is right up there with finding the perfect venue and dress! Your flowers play such a huge part of your special day but choosing the right flowers doesn't need to add to the stress of planning your wedding.
Here are my 5 top tips to help you:
- Most of my brides I find are quite organised before they come and see me, a note book with a few rough ideas and your requirements is great!
- Pinterest is amazing but so easy to get carried away, my facebook page or website is always up to date for ideas .
- Save a few photos of on your phone and if you have a picture or colour sample of your bridesmaids dresses this is a huge help!
- List any 'must have' flowers that may be significant to you and I will try and get them.
- Ask for my price list !
- Its a good idea to have a rough figure to start this will help me to make the right suggestions that fit within your range .
- Make a list of your absolute essentials then follow it up with your preferences, together we can create your floral vision and stick to your budget.
- It is very important for your bridal flowers to suit your dresses for example if you have a detailed, sparkly dress then I would suggest an understated bouquet tied simply with some ivory or white ribbon however if your dress is plain perhaps with some lace detail then a country bouquet with some trailing foliage of seasonal flowers tied with Hessian looks perfect! If you do have your dress it helps me to see a picture!
- Buttonholes don't have to be boring! You can be quite creative here, eg: add a gun cartridge if your Groom is into shooting! Lego men super hero characters are great fun! Add twine or ribbon to match your flowers, these can be attached with a pin or a magnet.
- Your wedding flowers will most certainly need to suit your venue, this goes without saying!
- Rustic barn, Tipi weddings, Country Manor Estates etc all lend themselves to loose country rustic flowers! Go for jugs, mixed bottles, Gin bottles, jam jars for your tables sitting on log slices.
- Garlands of foliage look great running down a wood trestle table with the odd flowers dotted in between, bunting, fairy lights, Hessian runners, my milk churns filled with flowers , a naked cake with berries and flowers to match all perfect.
- For a hotel wedding I always suggest more elaborate elegant flowers, bridal hand tied bouquet slightly more packed with roses perhaps, candelabras, vases filled with flowers on mirror discs with petals can look simple and stunning, an iced more formal cake with fresh flowers is perfect.
- Personally I like to suggest and use flowers that are in season for the time of year, I can help with this but you can find a list online also!
- Nearly all of my brides ask and love Peonies but unfortunately their season is too short running from April to June.
- Choosing seasonal flowers will ensure you get the best top quality blooms, get more for your money and most importantly capture the time of year.
I hope this has helped, if you would like to come for a chat in the barn please get in touch
I would love to hear from you.